The aim of the course is to help you gain a basic orientation in technologies, principles, concepts and possibilities of using Next-Generation sequencing (NGS). Emphasis is placed on mastering the ability of independent effective planning of NGS experiments and basic evaluation of results. We will discuss the whole topic comprehensively from A to Z in context - the development of individual methods, their advantages and disadvantages, possibilities of use, details of laboratory processing of samples and data analysis. We will also introduce you to current technological innovations. By completing the course, you will gain a comprehensive overview of NGS technologies.
Who should attend?
- The event is suitable for anyone who is just planning to use the technologies of massively parallel (so-called next-generation) sequencing, or for those of you who want to deepen your existing knowledge of the principles of these methods and their use. Prior knowledge of sequencing technologies is not required.
- A necessary prerequisite is computer literacy and basic knowledge of molecular biology (DNA, RNA, gene expression, PCR).
- If you want to learn the basics of NGS data analysis, we also recommend the Next-Generation sequencing data analysis – bioinformatics workshop for beginners.
What will you learn?
- You will get a detailed overview of available NGS technologies, including their comparison in terms of advantages and disadvantages for specific applications
- You will learn how to design an NGS experiment, including effective budget planning
- You will learn what to keep in mind when performing NGS experiments
- We will show you how to perform basic data operations and provide the necessary information about the computer infrastructure
- We will discuss all possible applications
- You will have the opportunity to communicate with experienced speakers and other participants