Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Professor Jacek Jaworski is looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher.
You will join the project entitled “Rac1 contribution to brain connectivity impairments and neuropsychiatric disorders in Tuberous Sclerosis Complex“ led by Dr. Justyna Zmorzyńska and carried out as the OPUS 2020/37/B/NZ3/02345 grant of the Polish National Science Centre.
The project aims to unravel how the interplay between various pathways that converge on Rac1 may participate in the brain connectivity development and underlie Tuberous Sclerosis Complex-associated neuropsychiatric disorders and will include behavioral testing, extensive microscopy imaging and image analysis, and transcriptome analysis. The project will be conducted using zebrafish as an animal model.
As a Postdoctoral Researcher: you will be responsible for performing experiments using zebrafish including (but not limited to) behavioral tests, live imaging of connectivity development, whole mount stainings and brain imaging, and transcriptome analysis, collaborate with team members, perform literature research, participate in lab meetings and activities, write publications.
Candidates will be selected in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence
The laboratory is at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw (www.iimcb.gov.pl) – one of the top ranked (A+) Polish research institutes that provides stimulating and interdisciplinary research environment and opportunities of the large biomedical campus. Research topics at IIMCB cover the wide area of structural biology, bioinformatics, computer modeling, molecular and cell biology, neurobiology, cancer biology, and developmental genomics (zebrafish model). The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art technology including Lightsheet microscope, and has excellent core facilities including NGS facility, and supportive administration. IIMCB benefits from numerous generous funding schemes for basic research through grants from international and national sources (www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/research/grants).
Requirements for the candidate:
- Holds a PhD degree in biological sciences or related fields
- Fulfills the formal criteria for the competition https://ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/uchwaly-rady/2020/uchwala35_2020-zal1.pdf#page=33 particular section 2.1.1.
- Has solid knowledge and documented laboratory experience in at least one of the following disciplines: neuroscience, developmental biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or microscopy and novel imaging techniques
- Solid understanding of the principles of brain development or computer vision will be a plus
- Willingness to work with a zebrafish animal model
- Prior experience in NGS or working with animal models (mouse or zebrafish), as well as basic programming skills would be an advantage but not essential
- Keen interest in neurodevelopment, connectivity development, and molecular mechanisms underlying behavior
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Willingness to learn and take new challenges, ability to work independently and to take an initiative, analytical thinking
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player
- Has good presentation skills (ideally having presented during at least one international conference)
- Has published at least one publication as the first author in an international peer-reviewed journal
- Full employment contract initially for 1 year with possible extension to 3-4 years in total.
- Gross salary about 7600 PLN/month (* Additional bonuses such as the 13th salary after working for the Institute for six months in a given calendar year, or Christmas bonus may supplement this salary)
- Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
- Benefits including a reduced rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport program
- Full technical, administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
- Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
- Participation in international conferences
The deadline for applications is January 31st, 2021. The job starting date is as soon as possible thereafter but no later than the end of February 2021.
How to apply:
- Apply now to email@example.com
- In the subject include "Postdoc OPUS_LNMiK JZ" and your first and last name
- Your application must be submitted in English and should contain a CV including a full list of publications, educational record, a motivation letter, a description of your key achievements, and contact details at least two potential referees, including one of your direct supervisors
- Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link: https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfils all requirements is found.