Postdoctoral researcher position in structural bioinformatics
of human and viral RNAs and RNPs
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Prof. Janusz M. Bujnicki, offers a position for a Postdoctoral Researcher motivated to develop a career in an interdisciplinary and international team.
Deadline for applications is July 13th, 2020. The position is available to be filled as soon as possible (preferably September 1st, 2020).
As a postdoctoral researcher, you will be involved in software development and 3D structure modeling analyses.
As a postdoctoral researcher you will be the key developer of bioinformatics software in the project (coding in C/C++ and in Python) and you will be involved in computational modeling of RNA and RNP 3D structures. You will also assist in coordinating the activities of the project team. You will actively collaborate with other researchers (software developers, molecular modelers, and experimentalists) within the research group, in the institute, as well as with international partners. We encourage applications from candidates with a Ph.D. obtained in 2013 or later.
This position is ideal for you if you have solid experience in coding in C/C++ and in Python, as well as in macromolecular modeling (ideally with experience in structural bioinformatics of RNAs and RNPs). You have to be a skilled programmer already at the beginning of the project, so you can at least read and modify the existing advanced code. This position is not for beginners who want to start learning software development, but for good programmers motivated to further develop their skills. We particularly encourage applications from candidates who wish to work with experimental data, such as cryoEM. The work will be carried out in collaboration with other group members, so we need a person who likes to work in a group.
• Full-time contract (“umowa o pracę”), guaranteed for 2.5 years, with a possible extension depending on performance
• Salary starting at 7600 PLN/month of total gross remuneration, expected initial net salary at ~6000 PLN/month,
with social security. Additional 13th salary after working a minimum of six months in a given calendar year
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in the MultiSport program
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
• Administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Appointment available as soon as possible, preferably not later than October 2020
• Ph.D. in any relevant area (e.g., bioinformatics, biology, chemistry, physics etc.), defended no more than 7 years before the start of the contract (according to the rules of the funding agency)
• Fulfillment of formal criteria of the competition in particular section 2.1.1: https://www.ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/koszty_w_projektach_maestro9_harmonia9_sonata13_sonata_bis7.pdf
• Documented extensive experience in programming (C/C++ and Python)
• Experience in molecular modeling, documented in publications
• Experience in RNA bioinformatics and in RNA-protein interactions is not essential, but will be a strong advantage
• Proactive approach to achieving objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative and adaptive attitude
• Very good project and time management skills
• Very good command of English (written and oral communication)
Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory, who are familiar with our work and who can convincingly explain why their expertise is a good fit for our requirements.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence
How to apply:
• Apply now (before the deadline of July 13th, 2020) to firstname.lastname@example.org
• In the subject of the message include "postdoc-MAESTRO-RNPmodeling" and your first and last name
• Your application must be submitted in English and should contain: 1) a CV, 2) a cover letter including a short description of your key achievements and explicit responses to the following questions: What are your scientific interests and how do they relate to requirements of the position offered? What are your key strengths? What do you know about our laboratory and why do you want to work with us?, 3) contacts to at least two potential referees, including your M.Sc. (or Ph.D.) supervisor. At this stage, please do not attach copies of diplomas, etc.
• Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
• Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks as a part of the recruitment process
• The competition may be extended or repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found