Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics PAS, Genetic Department announces recruitment for the post-doc position for the realization of the OPUS project of National Science Center of Poland untitled:
" Regulation of cell death and OXPHOS activity by Fmp40 ampylase in yeast S. cerevisiae "
Project director: dr hab. Róża Kucharczyk
Project aims to decipher the role of newly discovered yeast ampylase Fmp40p, the only identified ampylase in yeast. This protein is involved in cell response to reactive oxygen species, ROS. The preliminary data indicate that it can be involved in regulation of OXPHOS activity, the mitochondrial permeability transition and the programmed cell death pathway trough ampylation of proteins being a direct line of defense against ROS: glutaredoxins, thioredoxins or peroxiredoxins. The results of research will be significant not only for fundamental science but also mecine, as ROS signaling is involved in many diseases in humans, including cancer.
In the frame of this project we plan following experiments aiming to define the mechanism of action of yeast SelO (Fmp40p): 1) determination of the AMPylation by Fmp40 of potential substrates in vivo and in vitro: subunits of ATP synthase, complex IV, peroxiredoxin and porin components; 2) studies on the PCD in fmp40Δ cells and the role of Fmp40p in PCD induction by oxidized thioredoxin Trx3, which role in PCD is documented in the literature; 3) study of the permeability transition pore function in yeast dependently on ampylation of its components (ATP synthase) or modulators (porin complex). Independently, thanks’ to our expertise in the modification of mitochondrial genome in yeast, one of the task aim to construct a reporter strain expressing the non-fluorescent part of GFP (first 10 of 11 GFP β-strands) from mitochondrial genome and localize it in the intermembrane space of mitochondria. Such a GFP protein become fluorescent only when assembled with the 11-th β-strand of GFP provided by any protein localized in the intermembrane space of mitochondria. This tool will be commonly used not only by yeast community.
The methods include:
- expression of potential substrate in bacteria for ampylation reaction in vitro, ampylation verification in vivo,
- construction of the mutants, their genetic and phenotypic analysis
- on isolated mitochondria: measurement of oxygen consumption, ATP synthesis and hydrolysis, stability of inner membrane potential, ATP-driven translocation of protons across mitochondrial inner membrane, assembly and stability of ATP synthase, measurement of mitochondrial swelling and calcium retention capacity informative about induction of permeability transition pore.
- introduction of DNA bearing GFPβ1-10 into mitochondria of yeast by biolistic transformation and integration of this gene into mitochondrial genome.
- Master degree in biology, medicine, pharmacy, or related fields in biochemistry or life science
- knowledge of microbiology (culturing of yeast), molecular biology methods (mutagenesis in vitro, plasmid construction, work with proteins, protein expression in bacteria, in biochemical methods (in mitochondrial biochemistry). Experience in any of these areas will be an asset.
- Passionate about scientific, sometimes hard work, highly motivated
- Creative and an analytical thinker, initiative in experimental design
- Ability to communicate fluently in English
Duration of the project: 36 months
Nr of positions: 1 (full-time contract)
Start of the work: 09/10/2019, after signing the contract with the Funder NCN
Salary: 4000,00 PLN brut / month
The candidates should send the following documents (pdf):
- copy of diploma, or information about the date of defense
- information about the notes from the master studies
- scientific CV, with the list of publications or oral presentations during conferences,
(with the phrase added at the bottom: " Wyrażam zgodę na przetwarzanie moich danych osobowych zawartych w niniejszym formularzu rekrutacyjnym przez Instytut Biochemii i Biofizyki PAN z siedzibą w Warszawie przy ulicy Pawińskiego 5A (administrator danych), na potrzeby rekrutacji na stanowisko określone w ogłoszeniu, zgodnie z Rozporządzeniem Parlamentu Europejskiego i Rady UE 2016/679 z dnia 27 kwietnia 2016 r. w sprawie ochrony osób fizycznych w związku z przetwarzaniem danych osobowych i w sprawie swobodnego przepływu takich danych oraz uchylenia dyrektywy 95/46/WE w ramach realizacji obowiązku prawnego ciążącego na administratorze danych (art.6 ust.1 lit. a ) oraz ustawą z dnia 10 maja 2018 r. o ochronie danych osobowych (Dz.U.2018 poz.1000)."
- Cover letter describing personal motivation to apply for this position
- 2 references letters and contact to persons able to recommend your candidature
Please send the documents to: email@example.com till 30.07.2019 r. with the subject „REKRUTACJA SelO”
- An environment fostering your creativity, autonomy, and pushing your personal development.
- Mentoring that will help you develop into a mature and well-rounded scientist
- Access to state-of-the-art equipment
- Opportunities for interdisciplinary and international collaborations
- Competitive salary