Intellectual Property Manager
The International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw (IIMCB), Poland
invites applications for the position of Intellectual Property Manager
Are you passionate about knowledge valorization and are you ready to make a meaningful impact by translating IIMCB research discoveries into real-world applications? Are you open to expanding your expertise in intellectual property interests by engaging in a training-in-residence at the Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB) in Belgium, our strategic partner? Are you ready to work in a dynamic team taking on the challenges of IP protection and technology transfer on an international level? If yes, please apply.
The IIMCB hosts a vibrant, multinational community of scientists and is well connected internationally as exemplified by the composition of the IIMCB's International Advisory Board and the IIMCB's membership in EU-LIFE, an alliance of 15 top European research institutions. The IIMCB is on its way to unprecedented scientific and institutional growth. Through expanding by 2025 to 20 research groups involved in innovative translational projects in RNA biology and cell biology, we aim to become a unique Polish center where excellent science is combined with professional IPR protection and commercialization. To this end, the IIMCB is establishing institutional support for translating basic science discoveries and research services into commercial applications and clinical innovations. The Intellectual Property Manager will be one of the key people in these processes. The successful candidate will focus on managing the intellectual property assets of the IIMCB by providing professional support in the identification, drafting of patent applications and licensing of IIMCB inventions. They will become a core staff of a dedicated technology transfer unit at the IIMCB and will benefit from a one-year training-in-residence at the VIB located in Ghent, Belgium, where they will gain expertise in identifying and processing intellectual property.
The establishment of a comprehensive system of technology transfer support is a part of the IIMCB’s institutional project entitled “RNA and Cell Biology - from Fundamental Research to Therapies” (RACE) funded in the Teaming for Excellence programme under Horizon Europe.
- Creating an environment at the IIMCB that fosters innovation and entrepreneurial thinking
- Engaging with researchers to inspire and motivate them to think about the relevance of their research to society and the practical application of their discoveries
- Monitoring the results of research conducted in the IIMCB laboratories to determine their commercialization potential and recommending whether intellectual property protection should be sought
- Carrying out analyses of costs associated with patent prosecution
- Conducting patenting procedures (searching, drafting and prosecution)
- Organizing, managing and controlling all patents, trademarks and copyright files
- Overseeing IP related issues in externally funded research projects, including drafting IP agreements and managing IP during projects implementation
- Providing IP training to IIMCB researchers and advice on all IP-related matters
- PhD in life sciences
- Experience in biomedical research
- Hands-on knowledge of patent procedures is an asset
- Analytical mind, capable of analyzing a broad spectrum of life science topics and with the ability to deep-dive into scientific content
- Readiness for a 1-year training-in-residence at VIB, Ghent, Belgium
- High multitasking capacity combined with the ability to respect deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in oral and written English and Polish
The IIMCB offers:
- Employment contract with the IIMCB and secondment for 1-year training-in-residence at VIB, Ghent, Belgium
- Full-time salary in the range of 9 000 - 11 000 PLN gross, including the period of secondment, and an additional allowance for a secondment of 10 400 PLN gross
- Full-time salary is complemented by an additional 13th salary* plus an annual bonus.
- Attractive social package (co-financing Multisport cards, Christmas, Easter and summer holiday bonuses, etc.)
- Additional paid vacation time starting from the 2nd year of employment
- Work in hybrid mode
- Professional development and business travel opportunities
- Full organizational and administrative support by professional English-speaking staff
- Friendly, inclusive, international working environment
The application should include:
- Cover letter explaining the motivation for joining the IIMCB
- Curriculum Vitae
- A concise statement of 1-3 professional achievements
- Contact information for two references
Applications should be sent to email@example.com, in the subject please include "IPM" and your first and last name.
The deadline for applications is October 8, 2023.
Job interviews are scheduled for October 13 and 16, 2023.
Applications should include the statement: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed only for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available at https://bit.ly/3UFWpY2.
*13th salary is calculated as 8.5% of the gross salary received in a given calendar year (excluding sick pay) under the condition of having worked a minimum of 6 months in a given year.