Cryo-electron Microscopy Specialist
The Centre of New Technologies of the University of Warsaw (CeNT UW) is establishing a new, state-of-the-art cryo-EM Core Facility that will accommodate a 200kV Glacios cryo-TEM microscope equipped with a Falcon 3EC direct detection camera and a phase plate, for preliminary sample screening and a mid-to-high range resolution structural studies of biological molecules. In the near future, we also plan to implement the cryo-focused ion beam milling (cryo-FIB) technology to enable in situ structural biology in intact eukaryotic cells. Our newly formed core facility will become a part of a broader network encompassing the high-end 300kV cryo-electron microscope to be localized at the National Cryo-Electron Microscopy Centre in Cracow, offering unparalleled research capabilities.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join the CeNT’s Infrastructure Department as an accomplished electron microscopy specialist, to support the mission of setting up the pioneering cryo-electron microscopy core facility in the country. The successful candidate will be responsible for operating and maintaining the relevant instrumentation on a daily basis, training and assisting users, participating in the development of cryo-EM technology, including contribution to scientific projects, and performing other duties as assigned.
Scientific discipline: Materials Science, Physics, Structural Biology/Chemistry
Job type (employment contract/stipend): employment contract
Number of job offers: 1
Remuneration/stipend amount/month: salary adequate to the level of experience
Position starts on: as soon as possible
Institution: Centre of New Technologies, University of Warsaw
- Daily operation and maintenance of the 200kV Glacios cryo-TEM microscope, ensuring optimal performance of the instrument;
- Operation and maintenance of cryo EM-related ancillary equipment, e.g. Vitrobot plunge freezer for sample preparation;
- Sample screening and assessment as a prerequisite for efficient cryo-EM data acquisition with Single Particle Analysis (SPA) and/or cryo-tomography;
- Training, assisting and overseeing users in sample preparation, and data analysis;
- Managing the cryo-EM Core Facility, including (but not limited to) organizing the daily lab work, ordering supplies, keeping records, writing reports, and performing other activities as assigned;
- Developing and implementing efficient strategies for sample preparation and data collection;
- Participating in the development and implementation of new methods/techniques in the
- PhD (essential) in Materials Science, Physics, Structural Biology/Chemistry or a related technical field;
- A minimum of 2 years of hands-on experience and expertise in transmission and/or scanning electron microscopy including instrument operation, calibration, sample preparation, image processing and analysis;
- Previous work experience in a multi-user microscopy facility will be a strong asset;
- Strong motivation and willingness to undergo training and expand the existing skills to become a leading cryo-TEM expert capable of working with biological material;
- Excellent problem-solving skills and strong attention to detail;
- Skills in working and communicating with scientists at all levels;
- Ability in working on multiple challenging tasks in a rapidly-paced environment;
- Excellent English language skills both oral and written.
- Cover letter,
- Reference contacts.
- Attractive salary adequate to presented skills and experience;
- Stable employment.
Please submit the following documents to: email@example.com.
Application deadline: 7th February 2019.
We will contact selected candidates only.
For more details about the position please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include in your offer:
“I hereby consent to have my personal data processed by the University of Warsaw with its registered office at ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa for the purpose of carrying out a recruitment process and selecting an employee and concluding a contract for employment at the University of Warsaw.
I have been informed of my rights and duties. I understand that provision of my personal data is voluntary.”
Pursuant to Article 13 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation), University of Warsaw hereby informs:
- The Controller of your personal data is the University of Warsaw with its registered office at Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa;
- The Controller has designated the Data Protection Officer who supervises the processing of personal data, and who can be contacted via the following e-mail address: email@example.com;
- Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of carrying out a recruitment process and selecting an employee and concluding a contract for employment at the University of Warsaw;
- The provided data will be processed pursuant to Article 221 § 1 of the Act of 26 June 1974 Labor Code (uniformed text: Journal of Laws of 2018, item 917) and your consent for processing of personal data;
- Provision of data in the scope stipulated in the Labor Code is mandatory, and the remaining data are processed according to your consent for processing of personal data;
- The data will not be shared with any external entities;
- The data will be stored until you withdraw your consent for processing of personal data;
- You have the right to access your personal data, to rectify, erase them, restrict their processing, object to processing, and to withdraw the consent at any time;
- You have the right to lodge a complaint to the President of the Office for the Protection of Personal Data.